HOW TO REGISTER A BUSINESS IN NIGERIA
Did you know you can register your business name by yourself?
The answer is yes. “individual/proprietors can register business names without the services of the legal practitioner, chartered secretary or chartered accountant” However, you should always engage the services of accredited agents for registration of a company or incorporated trustees.
Find below the step by step process for registration of business names.
- Visit CAC website at https://services.cac.gov.ng/
- Login with your registration details if already registered, or click on register and fill the required details in the form provided. A verification mail will be sent to the email you used in registering.
Click on the link to verify your registration and login with your details. Note that verification is often not automatic so you might need to wait a day or two to receive the email.
AVAILABILITY CHECK/ RESERVATION OF NAME
- Check for availability here and reserve the name you want to register to do that click here. click on new name reservation
- You will be prompted to choose the type of business you want to register, either a Business Name, Company or Incorporated trustees. (let us focus on business name for now)
- Enter the name you would like to register ( you have two options) option 2 is not compulsory but is advisable in case the first option is not approved.
- Save and Continue to get to the next step
- Under reason for availability choose new incorporation if its a new business you are registering, otherwise choose the option that suits your purpose.
- Select the nature of your business from the drop-down provided then save and continue to proceed.
- Enter your details as required in the column for presenter details
- Preview the form to ensure all is correct then proceed to payment
- After payment wait for the approval or disapproval of the application
- if the name is not approved, you will be told why in the disapproval email, follow the above steps to make the necessary correction and apply again
- If the name is approved then proceed to the next step
- On your dashboard, click on new company registration
- enter the availability code then click on start registration, you will find the code in the approval mail sent to you
- fill the forms provided (business details, particulars of proprietors, nature of business)
- preview and proceed to make payment
- After payment, print out the registration document for signing
- upload the signed application document alongside your payment receipt, approval notice and means of identification in pdf format here then wait for the approval.
Find the procedure for registration of company here. For incorporated trustees click here
For more information or clarification contact us here.
Did you find this article helpful, do leave a comment on the comment box