GROUNDS FOR DIVORCE IN NIGERIA
- Lack of communication
- Lack of attention
- Financial problems
- Constant conflict
- Marrying too young
- Substance abuse
- No support from family/in-laws
- Religious differences
- Sexual problems
- Growing apart etc.
Despite your reason for wanting to get a divorce, the law only provides for one ground for divorce, which is that the marriage has broken down irretrievably.
This means that the cause of the breakdown is so severe that the marriage cannot be saved.
To prove that the marriage has broken down irretrievably, you will have to satisfy the court of one or more of the following facts:
- Your husband/wife has willfully and persistently refused to consummate the marriage. That means there have been no sexual relations between you since you got married;
- Your husband/wife has committed adultery and you cannot tolerate living with him/her;
- Your husband/wife has behaved in such a way that you cannot be reasonably expected to live with him/her. Such behavior includes rape, bestiality, sodomy, habitual drunkard, the conviction for a crime, habitually leaving without reasonable means of support, unsound mind, refusal to pay maintenance, etc.
- Your husband/wife deserted you for a continuous period of at least one (1) year, immediately preceding the filing of the divorce ;
- You have lived apart for a continuous period of two 2 years immediately preceding the presentation of the divorce. And your spouse is not against the divorce;
- You have lived apart for a continuous period of at least three years immediately preceding the presentation of the divorce;
- Your spouse has, for not less than one year failed to comply with a decree or restitution of conjugal rights ;
- Your spouse has been absent from you for such time and in such circumstances as to provide reasonable grounds for presuming that he or she is dead.If you are considering getting a divorce the best action to take would be to employ the services of a lawyer who would put you through the necessary steps. This article serves for information purposes only.